Friday 19 June 2015

A Set Back: My Gluten Challenge

Last week, I started to re-introduce gluten into my diet (as part of the Low FODMAP diet challenge process). I did this carefully and gradually but by lunchtime on Wednesday the pain was flooding into my stomach and through my limbs. I spent almost a week muddling through a gluten fuelled haze but when the symptoms showed no sign of improvement I dragged myself off to see the doctor.

Me: I've had a bad gluten attack and can't manage the symptoms - what can I do?

Doctor: I want to re-test you for coeliac disease. You need to eat a gluten inclusive diet for three weeks.

While for some readers walking home with a prescription of baguettes, donuts and pizza might sound like a dream, my fellow gluten-intolerants will know exactly how daunting this is.

Known as a 'gluten challenge' the next three weeks will prepare me for a blood test that will determine whether of not I have coeliac disease. My doctor has convinced me that a diagnosis is important for my long term health, and for the health of my future family.

I know it is the right thing to do but ultimately it is like having a horrendous hangover and somebody force feeding you vodka on the rocks.

If any readers have been through this and have any advice it would be so appreciated.

If not, I will be counting down the days until I can rid my diet and body of wheat, barley and rye...20 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! x