Sunday 5 July 2015

Gluten Free Summer #3

One of my favourite summertime foods is Mexican...the perfect combination of spicy tomato, cooling avocado and succulent chicken combined in a warm freshly baked tortilla is something I will mourn for a while...this dish however will certainly ease the pain. There are endless recipes of these types of dishes on Pinterest but I've tried a few and this combination is a winner for me.

Mexican Burrito          Mexican Bowl

2 chicken breasts
1 mug of cooked basmati rice
1 green pepper
can of sweetcorn
packet of spring onions
packet of cherry tomatoes - chopped
grated cheese - as much as you want (if you can find a Mexican one I would recommend it!)
bunch of coriander
1 lemon
1 lime
2 red chillies
1 avocado
and this seasoning mix - I keep a small kilner jar of this in my cupboard for quick mid-week dinners

Slice the chicken breasts and cover in the seasoning
Heat some fat of your choice in a pan and add the chicken, cook for about 10 minutes until it is thoroughly cooked.
Remove the chicken and add the corn, cook for approx 2 minutes until it takes on a little colour.
Chop all the vegetables and mix together in a large bowl.
Finely chop the chilli and the coriander and add to the top of the bowl.
Top with the chicken and a squeeze of the lemon and lime.

I like to serve this with a yoghurty-dip and these M&S tortilla chips.

This recipe really is a fantastic way to get that lovely Mexican-kick without worrying about what a floury tortilla might do to your insides.




Of course, Mexican really is best done by the professionals - if you're lucky enough to live in Sheffield you simply must head over to The Street Food Chef, they accommodate for gluten free diets perfectly with clear labeling and lots of choice. I devoured the Mexican Plate - or the 'naked burrito' and didn't even feel jealous as my partner dived into his Quesadilla. The Burrito Bar on Pinstone Street has a cool relaxed atmosphere that never fails to make me feel like I'm on holiday.

Remember, if you give one of my #GlutenFreeSummer recipes I'd love to see a picture or if you do make your way over to The Street Food Chef please do let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! x