Wednesday 22 July 2015

Recipe: Pho-King Good Chicken from Nigel Slater



I adore simple, fresh tasting recipes with modest affordable ingredient lists.
And that is exactly what you get from Nigel Slater's Eat. This sunshine-yellow cloth covered book of fast food is my current obsession and today I'm going to share my version of his 'Roast Chicken Pho'. I'd tweaked things here and there to make sure they are 100% gluten free and added things to suit my tastes.

1 tablespoon of soy sauce (gluten-free soy sauce can now be found in most supermarkets)
1 tablespoon of local honey
1 tablespoon of mirin (or if like me you have no idea what that is dissolve a small amount of sugar in white wine vinegar - thank you google)
4 chicken thighs (or 6 legs!)
800ml stock (homemade is best but if you are stock-less a Callo Stock  Cube will just about suffice)
6 'coins' of ginger (That's slices to me and you)
juice of 1 lime
3 whole star anise
1 garlic clove
shredded greens or chard or pak choi
rice noodles
bean sprouts
half a long red pepper
2 spring onions
100g of rice noodles




Mix the soy, honey and mirin (or alternative) in a small roasting tin and marinade the chicken (I left mine for about an hour).
Transfer the chicken into a cast iron pan and brown the skins slightly before popping into a preheated oven at 200C for about 30 minutes.
Warm the stock, ginger, lime juice, star anise and garlic.
Stir fry the veg and noodles lightly adding a small ladle of stock.
Remove the chicken from the oven - slice off the good meat and pour the sticky brown sauce over the noodle and veg concoction.
Fill the bowls with a nest of veg, noodles and chicken then top with a healthy ladle of steamy stock (I drained mine as I didn't fancy having chunks of garlic and/or star anise in my broth.

As I said...a Pho-King Good Chicken dish with lots of spice and plenty of veggies.
Please let m know if you give this a try - I'd love to see pictures and hear suggestions/improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! x