Wednesday 22 July 2015

Recipe: Homemade Gluten-Free Granola

I have always been a cereal girl. Weetabix, Cheerios and Shredded Wheat have been my friends for a long time and now, suddenly, my grainy reliable chums have revealed themselves to be arch enemies of my poor damaged gut.

As a busy twenty-something teacher it is often hard to find time to prepare balanced wholesome breakfasts in the morning so having something I can tip into a bowl and cover in fruit and yoghurt is important. Having searched through multiple Pinterest feeds and hashtags of #GlutenFreeBreakfasts I was faced with lovingly crafted concoctions of avocado, eggs and seeds. All of which looked delicious...but time consuming*

*Disclaimer: When you're trying to iron a shirt, plan a lesson and drink coffee all in the space of 5 minutes even boiling an egg can seem time consuming.*

And then I discovered Homemade Granola.






The options for this recipe are endless and I intend to explore them all. This, however, is my first and, in my opinion, very successfully attempt.

1 bag of gluten Free Oats
1 small bag of dried Shredded Coconut
1 cup of almonds (Sliced or whole)
half a cup of brown sugar (Opt.)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon 
Pinch of salt
2 large tablespoons of honey
1 large tablespoon of coconut Oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Chia Seeds / Flaxseed / Dried fruit (Opt.)

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C
Pour the first 5 ingredients into a huge mixing bowl.
Stir
Heat the honey, oil and vanilla essence over a low heat until melted
Add the remaining, optional, ingredients to the dry mixture and pour the melting honey mixture over the top.
Stir well
Line a large roasting pan with baking parchment
Tip the mixture into the roasting pan and put in the oven for 40 minutes.
Stir every 10 minutes to create an even bake
Allow to cool then break up any larger pieces.

Et voila! It's as simple as that! I've stored mine in an extra large kilner jar and intend to dig into it daily.


I know this recipe with contain more sugar than some people like but it is easy to adapt/tweak to your needs and tastes. This morning I teamed mine with fresh peach, raspberries and natural yoghurt alongside a large mug of peppermint tea - morning bliss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! x