Monday 20 July 2015

Restaurant Review: The Milestone


As a child, and a student, I'd always celebrate the start of summer with a sleepover and M&Ms, now I prefer to welcome the summer months with a glass of wine and some good food. We'd been wanting to visit The Milestone for months and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Nestled in the old industrial area of Kelham Island The Milestone epitomizes everything that is great about Sheffield - genuine, comfortable and proud.

We arrived around 6.30pm and opted to eat from the 'Early Bird' Menu which offers two or three courses for £14.00/£16.00 between 5pm-7pm daily. The choice was fantastic and deciding what to have was not easy.



After a short, helpful conversation with the waiter I was told that most dishes were naturally gluten free and that they could make small adaptations to anything I fancied. This flexible friendly approach made me feel comfortable and at ease - and not at all a burden.

After much deliberation, and a large glass of refreshing white wine, I opted for the 'Whipped goat's cheese, pickled Yorkshire beetroots, beetroot gel, puffed pumpkin seeds and onion oil'. My partner chose the 'Risotto of pearl barley, spring peas, parmesan, pickled shallot and garden herbs'.

Now, I feel it is important here to express just how fussy I can be when it comes to goat's cheese. As a student I lived in a rural French town known for it's exquisite cheese. Every Saturday morning I would head to the market and buy two cakes of 'demi-sec' goat's cheese from a local lady - both of which would be gone before bedtime. Since moving back to England I have struggled, in vain, to find good rich. tangy, ripe goat's cheese. My search is over. This goat's cheese was divine. Not to mention beautifully presented...


Having devoured the masterpiece above I worried that my main couldn't possibly compare. I ordered the 'Pan fried beef skirt, chunky chips, furnace hill nasturtium hollandaise and seasonal greens' (for which I paid an extra £2), and my partner opted for the 'Milestone burger'.

Unfortunately the sight of the homemade chips snuggled alongside pink juicy beef was so tempting I entirely forget to photograph the main. Again, the meal was satisfying, beautifully cooked and rich. My OH devoured the burger and agreed that it was a rare treat to get real homemade chips in such a nice restaurant. No shoestring fries here - chunky, salty, crispy potato just begging to be dipped into the nearest pot of ketchup!

Having thoroughly enjoyed the starter and main we did not need a dessert...but who ever needs dessert?

Unfortunately, the gluten free choices were slightly less abundant here - I was offered a handmade pana cotta or icecream and opted for the pana cotta which was perfectly fine - I did, however, glare with envy as my partner dug into a large sticky slice of sticky toffee pudding served with a delicious homemade icecream.




We both left feeling like we had had a real treat - delicious food, good wine, friendly staff and all for under £45 - we really thought it was excellent value for money. From a gluten free perspective it was so lovely to see a menu that had clearly been made with food intolerance in mind, the staff were well informed and I felt confident and carefree throughout the meal.

It feels great to have uncovered another little gluten-free friendly restaurant in this gorgeous city and I will certainly be heading back there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! x